Tag Archives: character

Something new

I’m still alive, work has taken most of my time for the past months, but it is slowing down, so I had time for personal projects again!

So this is a character that I started this weekend, and that I will hopefully be able to rig and animate soon.
I’ll use this guy to practice on my animation and to establish a pipeline with Blender, Gimp and Unity to eventually make a small game.

Leave a comment

Filed under Uncategorized

Some of you might have already seen this

2 Comments

Filed under Uncategorized

Lucy Thunder WIP 01

Some screen grabs pieced-up together of what I have done lately.

I still need to add some clothing details/accessories before I call the modeling finished.

2 Comments

Filed under Uncategorized

integration and motion blur technique

here is a video of a 3d integration on real footage i made for school a few weeks ago.

The goal was not to animate the object, but to make it feel like it was part of the scene.
didn’t have a lot of time to make this… sorry for the crappy animation

the rig was based on this rig i did this summer
https://greasymnky.wordpress.com/2010/05/24/turretbot_v0-5/

changed the turret for a camera and made the textures from scratch using 3dsmax material editor.

here is a clean render of the robot without the grain of the video

and a close up

(click on the images for wallpaper resolution)

these two images were lighted only by the HDR data I made from the kitchen.

the motion blur didn’t gave me what I was looking for for this video so i looked at other ways to improve the renders without having to to wait for hours before seeing the results

here is a test i made to get true 3d motion blur (translations and rotations)

made all the renders in mentalray and composited them without computing any motion blur, then went back to max and projected the renders on the geometry from the camera that took the renders (with self illumination) removed the lights and switched back to scanline renderer.
I then used the scanline motion blur to get true 3d motion blur.

this resulted in lightning fast motion blur (about 2-3% of the time it would have taken to get the same results with mentalray and/or camera motion blur) and better quality renders.
this also allowed me to see the resulting motion blur faster and let me more time to tweak the amount to get the desired final result.

1 Comment

Filed under Uncategorized

Testing Open Source applications

Lately I have been looking into open source applications to make quality digital animation with a low budget.

I was looking mainly for a 2D package to paint concepts and textures and a 3D package to model, rig and animate.

I looked a Gimp first as a 2D package, but it felt a bit too empty…. so I searched for a solution to improve the application. Turns out that someone had the same needs I have and made a patch for Gimp called Gimp-Painter.

I’m still getting used to the shortcuts (well, mainly remapping them), but every day I feel more comfortable drawing in this package.

This is a sketch I made this morning with the standard (round) brush.

I haven’t downloaded any other brushes yet, but this is something I should do soon. There is also GPS (Gimp Paint Studio) that can be implemented to Gimp-painter, this is also something I want to test soon.

Today I modeled a character in blender3D, and i must say that the 2.5 version is way better looking that the previous versions.
Modeling the body was a way to get used to the interface and to the shortcuts (I changed a few of them to be comfortable)
The head was modeled a few weeks ago (in 3dsmax) and got imported as a .obj to test blender import function.

This is today’s body and the head merged together (no hands… I know)

Luckily the head and the neck had the same amount of vertices so it wasn’t too hard to attach them.

The mouse head was just a import and feature test, but I’m not feeling it… I will probably make a “real” head for this character.

Blender looks promising, but I still have to test the Unwrapping, Rigging, Animation, Lighting/Renderng and Compositing features of the package.

The above character should be a good way to test all these features.

3 Comments

Filed under Uncategorized

Update on the Low Poly Challenge – Textures 01

quick update on the textures

blocking colors and testing some patterns, I still need to do some more work on the legs and on the back of the character

EDIT:
added contrast and changed the “scaly” pattern for a woolen texture, feels more warm.

I might add some leather patches and brass buttons next to complete the look

1 Comment

Filed under Uncategorized

Update on the Low Poly Challenge – Unwrap

I received some great constructive critics from the forum members @Polycount, and it allowed me to optimise my UV layout and make it easier to paint.
this is where I’m at right now:

Leave a comment

Filed under Uncategorized